Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Genetically modified crops (and conventional crops), the scary factor…

In an earlier post, I made it clear that I support labeling of genetically modified (GM) crop. What I didn’t expand on was why…

What scares me most about GM crops is what is implied by the foreign genes they carry… Most GM crops carry gene(s) which confer resistance to specific herbicides and insecticides. This reinforces the fact that these crops are grown with the aid of these herbicides and insecticides. I do not like being unwittingly exposed to dangerous chemicals through the food I eat. (And yes, any chemical designed to kill plants or animals are dangerous to humans, the question is how dangerous.) The hypocrisy is when I neglect the fact that conventional crops are also grown with chemical additives, perhaps a greater variety and at higher concentrations.

So, yes, I want GMOs labeled… I also want conventional, hybrids, heirlooms, organics, exotics, imported, local, distal, copyrighted, trademarked, whatever the strain, marked with the chemicals applied to them. I want the freedom to decide my chemical exposure through the foods I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment