Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Co-op grocers

This is a call for those interested in social justice and sustainability to forgo giving custom to boutique grocers such as Whole Foods or Dean and Deluca and instead seek out local grocery co-operatives or employee-owned grocers. There are a number of reasons for this, mine are: (1) The prices at co-op grocers are generally not higher than at boutique grocers. (2) They are often more responsive to customer requests. (3) They often carry the same or similar inventory as boutique grocers. (4) They attempt to source locally and consider organic/environmental/sustainability issues when determine what items to stock. (5) They are locally owned. (6) They tend to pay their employees a living wage.

For the record, I am not a perfect model of socially responsible grocery shopping, I spread my grocery shopping around several sources. The factors which influence my food decisions are the following (with no discernible priority): availability, condition, convenience (car, walk or public transportation), and price. With that in mind, I patronize four independent ethnic markets and one large chain grocer within my immediate walking (one mile) distance (1-2 times per week); several ethnic markets and independent market stalls by public transport (every 2-4 weeks); one large chain ethnic grocer by car (every 2-4 weeks); and a co-op grocer within distant walking (2-3 miles) distance (every 2-3 months). Given my druthers, I would frequent the co-op more often but as it is, I currently live too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment