Thursday, April 18, 2013

Public faith

Is it just me? I was listening to a podcast of a Dolly Parton interview where she spoke quite extensively about her faith and how it was a source of strength and support throughout her life. And while this is in no way a reflection of Ms Parton, I was discomforted by these profuse affirmations and it got me thinking about why I have always shied away from and distrusted people who habitually advocated their religiosity. It's like my  privacy has been invaded. This likely stems from the social norm of reciprocity… when something is given, there is an expectation of something returned. In the case of religiosity, some nugget of personal information (their view on faith) and there is an expectation of a confidence in return. My response has always been I consider my beliefs a private matter only to be shared with a select few.

No comments:

Post a Comment